A: その封筒を開けると、便箋一枚の手紙と一万円札2枚が出てきた。

My translation:

A: If that envelop is opened, one sheet of letter paper and 2 sheets of 10 thousand yen bills 出てきた.

In my understanding, ~てきた represents

• action done in the past and it continues up to the present, "~started to, ~has begun to, etc". For example,

• 雨が降ってきた。It started to rain.

• 人口が増えてきた。The population has begun to grow.

• after doing the ~て action, the speaker return to the place where she/he says the sentence.

• 親を連れてきた。I brought my parents here.

• 弁当を買ってきた。 I bought a meal and came here with that meal.

But in the sentence A, I think the usage of ~出てきた does not make sense so ~出た should be used instead.

Question

What is the meaning of ~てきた in the sentence A?

It means "came out". – istrasci Jun 27 '16 at 23:00
  • @istrasci: OK. Do you know the reason that ~てきた should be used here rather than 出た? – Money Oriented Programmer Jun 27 '16 at 23:31
    @優しいエイリアン To indicate direction toward the subject. The money emerged from the envelope out toward the person who opened it. – Brandon Jun 28 '16 at 0:23
  • The くる is #9(補助動詞)-㋓ in デジタル大辞泉:「ある動作・状態をそのまま続けながら、こちらへ近づく。また、そのようにしてこちらへ至る。『敵が押し寄せてくる』『付き添ってくる』」. – Chocolate Jun 28 '16 at 4:04

As already mentioned by itrasci、出てきた would mean "came out", from an already understood location and towards the subject.

その封筒を開けると、便箋一枚の手紙と一万円札2枚が出てきた。

• "When (he) opened the envelope, there was a letter written on a single sheet of stationary and two ten-thousand yen bills."

If you use 出た instead... I think it might sound like the things just kind of "appeared", and not necessarily from the envelope.

その封筒を開けると、便箋一枚の手紙と一万円札2枚が出た。

• "When (he) opened the envelope, a letter written on a single sheet of stationary and two ten-thousand yen bills appeared."

Begging the question, where from?

| improve this answer | |

I think that in this case it means came out of the envelope.

出る + 来る

出て来る

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.