'Overlook' in the sense of forgiving, or letting something slide. All the words I can find that seem to be very close in meaning--大目に見る、不問に付す、聞き捨てにする、罷り通る--don't seem to be used in conjunction with にくい (or づらい), which is something I really want to use to get across that it's hard but not impossible. The closest thing I can think of is 許しにくい, but it lacks the indirectness and slight scorn that comes with the other verbs.

Context: "His actions are getting increasingly hard to overlook."

• I'm curious to hear the answer from a Japanese speaker as well. I am not sure how natural it is, but you could say something like "大目に見ることが出来なくなってる" or ”多めに見ることはなかなか出来ない"
    – Locksleyu
    Jun 27, 2016 at 20:07
  • My first instinct is something like みすごしづらい.
    – Kurausukun
    Jun 27, 2016 at 20:41
    I agree that "にくい" and "づらい" are somehow somewhat incompatible with the phrases you suggested. I think the suffix "-難い(がたい)" fares a lot better with them (大目に見難い, 不問に付し難い, 聞き捨てにし難い, 罷り通し難い).
    – goldbrick
    Jun 27, 2016 at 21:18
    @goldhick I thought your answer worked fine as an answer rather than a comment. Would you consider undeleting the answer?
    – user1478
    Jun 27, 2016 at 21:41
  • Maybe something like: 彼の行動が見過ごせなくなっている。
    – Leo
    Jun 28, 2016 at 0:25

3 Answers 3

You could nominalize a word meaning "overlook" and then say that that is "getting more and more difficult" to do that.

Maybe something like this:

彼の行動を大目に見るのは段々難しくなってきています

• 大目に見る may have the connotation that you are have some authority over 彼.

彼の行動を黙って認めることは段々難しくなってきています

• 黙って認める could imply that you have been purposefully not speaking out until now but it has been bothering you for some time.

彼の行動を無視するのが段々難しくなってきています

• 無視する may imply that you have been trying to ignore his behavior for a while.

I agree that "にくい" and "づらい" are somehow somewhat incompatible with the phrases you suggested. I think the suffix "-難い(がたい)" fares a lot better with them (大目に見難い, 不問に付し難い, 聞き捨てにし難い, 罷り通し難い).

Also there's an idiom that captures the whole "hard to overlook" sense, which is:"目に余る". Using this expression, we may say something like:

「最近の彼の行動は日増しに目に余るようになってきている。」 Or more tersely, 「彼の最近の行動は目に余る。」

• 目に余る>> Yes, it definitely sounds most natural, and I (personally) think it would be the best fit for this situation
    – chocolate
    Jul 1, 2016 at 5:17

If you wish to use the word that connotes the meaning of 難い for you to be difficult to look over, you can say:

「許し難【がた】い」、「度し難【がた】い」、「看過【かんか】できない」、 「由々【ゆゆ】しく(由々しいことと)考える」、「[容赦]{ようしゃ}しない」、「(決して)容認【ようにん】できない」 and 「笑い事では済まされない ― It's not a laughing matter」.

When you say 許し難い, 許し難【がた】い would sound better than 許し難 【にく】い to carry the tone of seriousness and harshness.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .