Consider the following sentence.

人類の宇宙にかける夢はとどまるところを知らない。

• 人類 mankind

• 宇宙 universe

• かける ?

• 夢 dream

• とどまるところを知らない when it stops is unknown (lit. it keeps on happening)

As there are many meaning for かける, my translation below has not been completed yet.

The dream of humankind かける in the universe never stops.

Question

What does かける mean in this context?

• You may think of this かける as the same かける as in "コートをハンガーにかける", only used figuratively here. "人類の宇宙にかける夢" is a noun phrase consisting of the relative clause "人類の宇宙にかける" and the head "夢", where the "夢" is the object of the verb in the relative clause かける :"人類の宇宙にかける夢" ⇒ "dreams (which) mankind hangs on outer space". (Though an alternative reading, where the "の" in the "人類の" is construed as a genitive, rather than subject, marker, may be possible.) If the meaning is not clear, the "hang" is used in the sense similar to "hang one's hope on something." – goldbrick Jun 27 '16 at 19:48
  • This かける means "hope". thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/… – Takahiro Waki Jun 28 '16 at 9:54

It's 懸ける, that is, the dream of mankind to lean on/speculate in/venture in the space.

'かける' in the sentence is '翔る' which means 'to fly high and fast'. The Kanji '翔' means to fly in '飛翔 ひしょう'.

• If it was 翔ける, it would have been 宇宙 を 翔ける. – user4092 Jun 27 '16 at 12:13
  • @user4092 Do you mean 未来・宇宙に翔ける無限の可能性を示しているとのこと. is wrong? I don't see any reason why you can't use 'に' in the sentence. Do you? – Rathony Jun 27 '16 at 12:19
  • It means that you fly (through present time / stratosphere) towards future / the space. Likewise, it's not technically impossible to interpret 宇宙に翔ける as to fly (through stratosphere) towards the space. But I see it's referring to actual space industry rather than a rhetoric expression in public relations. – user4092 Jun 28 '16 at 8:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.