Here is the sentence.

左ジャブと右ストレートのワンツーを覚えた矢吹丈は、力石徹殴り倒すことだけ目的に地獄の中で生き抜くのですが、改めて読んでみて、これほど面白く・感動的な物語りそう滅多にないと、僕は思いました。

Note: This sentence is written vertically.

1. For the second bold 「を」, I am not sure which object and verb relate to it. If the verb is「改めて」, then what is the object?

2. For the both bold 「は」, does it still have the same meaning and be grammatically correct if I remove them both?

3. For the interpunct between the word 「面白く」and 「感動的」, what is the purpose to put it in the place?

• I think the use of interpunct here is very similar to the use of slash in English. – kuchitsu Jun 22 '16 at 11:11
  • I .. think the を you are asking about actually connects to 目的に, which can likely be thought of as an abbreviation of a verb form. Maybe. The object is likely the whole noun phrase ending with こと and starting after the comma, nesting the first を. – WeirdlyCheezy Jun 22 '16 at 12:52
  • 滅多にはない is "there are not so many mangas this fun and touching", while 滅多にない is "there are hardly such mangas". – user4092 Jun 23 '16 at 3:31
  1. を in を目的に indicate a object for 目的, it is 力石徹を殴り倒すことだけ in this case.

2. I think first and second は are a topic maker and third one is emphasis. You can remove the emphasis は and first は but you had better not to remove second は.

3. I don't know the reason. I think it is no problem it is comma.

• Regarding to the question 1, does the verb 「改めて」relate to the particle 「を」 in 「を目的に」? – George Jun 23 '16 at 2:31
  • No, this を doesn't relate to 改めて. The object of 改めて読んでみて is this manga but it is omitted in this sentence. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 23 '16 at 3:19
  1. 〇〇を目的に(して)〇〇する. The して is often omitted. This is just a variant of the very common AをBにする pattern.
  2. You can't remove both; the basic clause is 物語りはない where は is the negative collocating version for contrast (there are many types of stories, but few such as this). The second one can be removed without changing the meaning much; it just adds a little extra emphasis.
  3. Like WeirdlyCheezy said, it's more or less like using a "/" in English. That is, the story is both 面白い and/or 感動的 (perhaps the author can't himself decide which is best to use to describe his feelings?).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.