Eg in definition of 根:ある数を何乗かした数に対するもとの数。

Is it pronounced かず or すう?

I have a feeling that mathematicians are fond of すう. – broccoli forest Jun 22 '16 at 8:52

In everyday conversations, it's always read as かず. But in mathematical contexts, 数 on its own is usually read as すう. すう becomes dominant in math classes after you graduate from elementary school and start saying things like these.

• 負【ふ】の数【すう】
    negative number
  • 複素数【ふくそすう】とは実数【じっすう】 a, b と虚数【きょすう】単位【たんい】 i を用いて、 a + bi の形で表すことのできる 数【すう】 である。
    A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

Reading these 数 as かず is not wrong at all, but it sounds less technical.

[数]{すう} is 音読み and [数]{かず} is 訓読み. In general, 音読み of a single kanji itself does not mean anything while 訓読み is an understandable word. Academic terms are often read with 音読み.

If a professor reads the difinition to students at his lecture, he probably read with 音読み. If he is on a TV show and reads the definition to explain the concept of root, he should read 数 with 訓読み.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.