I'm having some trouble understanding どの顔さげて, specifically in certain context. I get that it means something along the lines of one should be too ashamed to meet or face someone, but I saw it used in a way that threw me:

どの顔下げてドアを開ければいいのか

How should I interpret this line? Would "should I shamelessly open the door?" be okay? Or is it to be understood another way?

Of course there's no such a thing as "shameless" way to open doors. どの顔下げて works as sentence adverb, just like the controversial usage of "hopefully" in English. – broccoli forest Jun 22 '16 at 8:49

"I'm having some trouble understanding どの顔さげて, specifically in certain context."

I would probably feel the same way myself if I were a Japanese-learner. That is because 「どの顔さげて」 is a cross between an idiomatic expression and a cuss phrase, and it is difficult to develop a feeling for the more colorful expressions in a foreign language.

With the phrase/sentence:

どの顔下げてドアを開ければいいの

I would suggest that you forget the word "shamelessly" for a second (because it just will not fit in even though it is still highly related in nuance).

Both in meaning and nuance, the phrase in question is very close to:

"How dare you have the nerve to open that door?"

"How the heck (am I going to / could I) open that door?"

• I should've added that the speaker was saying this to himself, so your latter interpretation is more fitting. Thanks, this was hard for me to wrap my head around – ElSigh Jun 23 '16 at 5:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.