Here is the full sentence including the word.

小気味いい矢吹丈と、ボクシングだけを想う老残の丹下段平、そしてチャーミングな仇役力石徹。

I found that the first Kanji 「仇」is 表外漢字 and an alternative form of 「敵」. Then, I am curious why the writer did not use the later one which would be easier to read for Japanese reader.

• According to weblio.jp/content/%E4%BB%87, the kanji includes the connotation of grudge/hatred, and not just a plain enemy. – nhahtdh Jun 22 '16 at 7:49
  • @nhahtdh かたき frequently has such a vengeful connotation, but in this case it's used more positively ("good rival" rather than "enemy"). But I agree that かたき is a more "emotional" word then plain ライバル, and it does imply there is a complicated story between 矢吹 and 力石. – naruto Jun 22 '16 at 8:12

仇 is not an alternative form of 敵 (there's a word 仇敵【きゅうてき】). And aside from it, not being 常用漢字 doesn't mean immediately the kanji is rarely used. Kanji frequency distribution usually shows a long tail, and the rank varies depending on the source collection. According to @scriptin's investigation, 仇 is at #1951 among novels in 青空文庫, as well as #2280 in Wikipedia JP, so you can see it's a pretty close loser to 常用漢字 (now has 2,136 kanji).

In my personal experience, 仇 for the word かたき ("foe; rival; who should be avenged on") is a fairly well understood, or perhaps more preferred way of writing, partly because 敵 stands for another well known reading: てき ("enemy; opponent").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.