Here is the full sentence.

負けず嫌いで、しかも勇敢な矢吹丈、ナイフで刺すとか拳銃で撃つといった、卑怯なリヴェンジ何も考えませんでした。

1. I guess that the first one would be the actual subject marker and the whole sentence would roughly be translated like followings:

'Yabuki Joe who is brave and hate to lose did not know how to revenge the unfairness he got which feel as if stabbing with a knife or shooting with a pistol.'

If I am correct in the translation as above, what is the purpose to put the second 「は」after the word 「リヴェンジ」?

1. Is it still grammatically correct if I remove all commas in the sentence? Mostly conversational bubbles found in the manga I have been reading never use it but the sentence above came from the review section written in the end of the manga.

Yes, the first は is the main topic, and the second is the typical "contrastive" は often found with negative predicates -- very nearly a collocation of sorts. And I suppose you could remove the commas without changing the meaning at all here, but it would hinder readability a great deal. I imagine the manga version might use line breaks instead of commas?

As for your translation, it's almost there, but slightly off meaning-wise w.r.t 考える.

負けず嫌いで、しかも勇敢な矢吹丈は、ナイフで刺すとか拳銃で撃つといった、卑怯なリベンジは何も考えませんでした。
Yabuki Joe, a sore loser, and / but what's more a brave man, didn't for even a moment consider getting some sort of cowardly / low payback like stabbing or shooting .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.