How to parse たすけにいって in 子猫をたすけにいって 子猫にかまれたらしい

I think I understand the overall meaning, "It seems that he went to save the kitten and got bitten" but i want to understand more about the に いって.

Adding particle に to the i-form (also called stem, masu-form, etc.) indicates a purpose for going somewhere.

In your case, the purpose for going is to save the cat. So, as you guessed, "He went to save the kitten" is a good translation.

Other simple examples of this grammar construct:

映画を見に行った
I went to see a movie

ゲームを買いに行く
I'm going to buy a game

友達に会いに行った
I went to see my friends

• Tangential, but I find it helpful to consider this type of usage of the masu-stem as a "limited-noun-like" usage, since it takes a particle and "feels nouny". A lot of the older verbs' masu-stems are actually "living, breathing" nouns in their own right, up to and including ditching the おくりがな (eg 話{はなし}). – WeirdlyCheezy Jun 20 '16 at 16:45

しに行く means "go to do" and this て means "and then".

行っ is a euphonic change of 行き which is masu-form of 行く. I think your translation is good.

• 助けに行っ is a euphonic change of 助けに行く -> 促音化して「行っ」になったのは、(「行く」ではなく) 連用形の「行き」、と言った方がよいかもしれませんね。(行きて -> 行って) – Chocolate Jun 21 '16 at 1:52
  • Yes, it is rightness. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 21 '16 at 4:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.