I know it means roughly "for your reference", but I can't really grasp why it means that based on my understanding of までに (which I consider roughly as 'before' or 'by'). I can't really come to any kind of reasonable literal translation, could someone elaborate what exactly it's doing in this phrase?

My only guess is something like "before [you] consult [other materials] (look at this)".

Thanks.

This まで corresponds to the following definition of まで of デジタル大辞泉:

3 動作・事柄がもうそれ以上には及ばず、それに限られる意を表す。…だけ。「気に入らなければ断る―さ」「念のために聞いてみた―だ」

So まで can mean only or just. ご参考までに is "just for your reference", implying that information is not critically important.

Other examples:

• まずはご挨拶まで。
    (Used at the end of a formal business letter, and means something like "For now I can only greet, but please allow me to contact you again later")
  • 取り急ぎ、ご報告まで(申し上げます)。
    "This is (only) a quick report. (details will follow)"

まで actually has quite a number of different (but fundamentally related) meanings. Here, IMO, it's related to the "no more than" meaning (a bit like にすぎない) and serves to make this expression more humble: "May this at most serve as a reference for you" aka I feel (or at least make it seem as such to be polite) that it may not be worthy of being used as anything more than a mere reference.

As a related bit, it's actually an abbreviated version of one of a number of possible longer phrases: ご参考までに(お目【め】通【とお】し・ご拝【はい】読【どく】ください)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.