Here is part of a document that I am reading:

本日は、世界最高の大学のひとつで卒業式を迎えられる皆さんとご一緒できて、とても光栄です。

"everyone who is able to be attending" or
"everyone who is attending" as an honorific ?

• It would probably be very hard to answer if I don't have the prior or latter texts since I am sorry I do not understand this Japanese alone. – Kentaro Jun 17 '16 at 22:27
  • @KentaroTomono ok. I have re-written the question with much more surrounding context. – Just Someone Jun 17 '16 at 22:38
  • Thank you.That's become perfect. Unfortunately, I got to go right now with apology. – Kentaro Jun 17 '16 at 23:33

That would undoubtedly be an honorific form, and not potential.

The sentence looks to be part of a speech by a guest at the commencement. If the 「[迎]{むか}えられる」 part were meant to be a potential form, it simply would not be polite enough for the occasion and therefore, highly unnatural for the context.

Notice the 「ご」 in 「ご一緒」, for instance. These public speeches are generally formed in a very polite and formal style even when the speaker is a few times older than the graduating students.

• Yeeeeeeeeeeess.+1 Coundn't have enough time until I answer.lol. – Kentaro Jun 18 '16 at 4:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.