If I wanted to say "The teacher who made the kids write a letter to their friend in the hospital", how should I write it?

Are 2 にs ok in the same sentence?
Would 病院にいる友達に子供に手紙を書かせた先生。be acceptable?

If there are no particles, how should I interpret a causative like 書かせた人

Would it be

1. The person who made someone else write
  2. The person who was made to write by someone
    病院にいる友達への手紙を子供に書かせた先生。 – Artificial Stupidity Jun 15 '16 at 13:29
  • 「子供に、入院してる友達宛てに手紙を書かせた…」でもいいかと。 – Chocolate Jun 15 '16 at 22:55

This sentence would be at least understandable if you change the word order and write like this:

子供に病院にいる友達に手紙を書かせた先生

It's because this sentence will be parsed like this (with "nesting"):

[子供に[病院にいる友達に手紙を書か]せた]先生

The "病院にいる友達に手紙を書く" part should be written as one verbal phrase because that's the action the child has to take.

This question is more or less similar: Multiple "wo"s in a sentence?

That said, it would be much better if you can avoid multiple に's like this. Multiple に both marking a person is hard for even native speakers to understand. The simplest way to fix this is using へ instead.

• 子供に病院にいる友達手紙を書かせた先生
  • 子供に病院にいる友達への手紙を書かせた先生
  • 病院にいる友達への手紙を子供に書かせた先生
    (This is okay, as @優しいエイリアン suggested, because への modifies 手紙, and 病院にいる友達への手紙 is one noun phrase)
  • [*] 病院にいる友達へ手紙を子供に書かせた先生 (wrong)
    (Can you see why this is wrong? へ modifies the verb 書く. The "nest" structure will be broken if you write like this)

And I see nothing wrong with sentences like this:

• 子供に夜にお菓子を食べさせるのは良くない。
  • 夜に子供にお菓子を食べさせるのは良くない。
  • 夜にお菓子を子供に食べさせるのは良くない。
    (uncommon word order, but perfectly makes sense)
  • I see, sometimes though I find some sentences where the particle does not refer to the first verb after it. "病院にいる友達へ手紙を子供に書かせた先生 " I found a sentence similar to this once, that is why I used it an example. Thanks. Anyway for the second part of the question could you help me out? – Splikie Jun 15 '16 at 14:47
  • If there are no particles how should i interpret a causative like this 書かせた人 The person who made someone else write The person who was made to write by somoene" – Splikie Jun 15 '16 at 14:50
  • 書かせた人 always means "person who made (someone) write", and 書かされた人 is "person who was made to write". – naruto Jun 15 '16 at 14:50
    Yes.................................. – Artificial Stupidity Jun 15 '16 at 14:52
    @Splikie: And 僕に書かせられた人 is the man who was forced by me to write . – Artificial Stupidity Jun 15 '16 at 14:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.