Why is this を and not に to indicate moving in a direction?

今日は天気がいいから家を出ます

Unless this example is wrong? But it is from JapanesePod101

出る is not a normal motion verb.

Xに出る

means to participate in X.

For example, カタン大会に出る would mean to participate in a Settlers of Catan tournament.

を出る

means to leave a place.  see Differences between 出るand 去る when expressing someone leaving

Why does 出る accepts を although it is an intransitive verb?

I did not notice you already answered. +1 – Tommy Jun 14 '16 at 13:21

Because it is not moving "in" a direction. It is moving "from" somewhere, since I suppose someone is going out "from" the house.

In general 出る follows either を or から. There are cases in which you are actually referring to "going out towards some place/situation" in a more figurative way or with the meaning of "to participate" in which you can actually use "に". For example:旅に出る, or 社会へ出る, and others.

By the way, your example feels a bit weird to me, as I would rather say: 今日は天気が良いから、家を出る。I feel there is a missing connection between 良い and the next sentence 家を出る. Maybe even just changing to 良くて would be enough.

Anyway, you can find a detailed explanation on 出る here and some explanations and example on when to use を or から here (for example there is a difference whether you are talking of a concrete movement or not and so on).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.