I have a question about this sentence.

Q: 会社 ___ ____ ______ ______ 行っていますか.

A: 私は歩いて行っています.

I can use the particles で は へ and 何.

According to the answer key, the correct order is: 会社何はでへで 行っていますか.

But I am stumped as to why they would go in this order?
I think my instinct is: 会社へ何では 行っていますか?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Where does the "correct" order come from? Textbook? – broccoli forest Jun 10 '16 at 15:09
  • Yes, it's a textbook for the Japanese proficiency exam. – janeru Jun 10 '16 at 20:16
  • Just curious, could you show me what exactly your textbook says? It's so wildly wrong that I suspect there are some misunderstanding. – broccoli forest Jun 11 '16 at 8:46

The correct order according to your key is definitely strange Japanese (what is はでへで??). Also your suggestion is a bit weird because ”何では" is not correct.

I would say:

会社へは何で行っていますか?

Personally I think saying ”どうやって" may be more natural instead of ”何で", though.

I agree with you. どうやって sounds more correct. – Retro Gamer Jun 10 '16 at 18:54
    @RetroGamer really? we frequently use XXへはなんで行ってますか/行きますか in daily conversation. – Chocolate Jun 11 '16 at 10:36
  • But doesn't ”なんで" also mean "because"? If so, I thought it would be more clearer to say "どうやって". – Locksleyu Jun 11 '16 at 14:42
  • Maybe it is a regional difference or a more-casual register? I must admit I haven't heard 何で used this way much either, but 何で as "by what means" seems to work here from a grammatical point of view, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was common usage in some contexts. – WeirdlyCheezy Jun 12 '16 at 10:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.