I'm looking for a word or phrase to describe a company that is organizationally disorganized. I am not sure if words that describe physically disorganized (like a messy desk for which you could say 散らかってる) would be appropriate for this case.

To be more specific, imagine a company whose customer support you call, and get forwarded to 5 or 6 different people before they finally answer your question. Would something like "まとまってない" apply here?

If I called their customer support and got forwarded to 5 or 6 different people, I'd say なってない ("not doing properly, decently"). What I mean is there are numerous situations when you utter "disorganized" regarding a company, and you have to choose different word in Japanese on each.

• ばらばら: "teared up", "disintegrated", "disunited"
  • ぐちゃぐちゃ: "messy", "disturbed", "in a shambles"
  • なっていない: (see above)
  • まとまりがない: "not cohesive", "uncoordinated"
  • 体をなしていない: "shapeless", "dysfunctional" (usually with a noun such as 会社の体をなしていない)
  • でたらめ、めちゃくちゃ: "chaotic", "irresponsible"
  • 無秩序: "disordered", "headless", "chaotic"
  • 空中分解寸前: "is going to 'break up in midair'"

etc.

• 「体をなす」って「ていをなす」って読みますよね?「たいをなす」とも言います? – Chocolate Jun 7 '16 at 6:31
  • @chocolate 何か調べたらどっちもあるみたいです。個人的には「ていをなす」で読んでます。 – broccoli forest Jun 7 '16 at 6:33
  • Is "なってない" slang? I've very rarely heard this expression used in this way. Does it derive from なる ("to become") or a completely different word? – Locksleyu Jun 7 '16 at 16:01
  • @Locksleyu Yes it's from なる. It's not that slang-ish as I can also find a dictionary entry for this phrase: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/165425/meaning/m0u 「非常に悪くて問題にならない。」 – broccoli forest Jun 8 '16 at 11:31

めちゃめちゃ (me-cha me-cha) means "messed-up".

• あの会社の進め方はめちゃめちゃだね = That company way of doing things is messed-up (disorganized).
  • この部屋はめちゃめちゃだね = This room is really messy.

めちゃめちゃ has also, through slang, come to be used to mean "very" before an adjective, e.g.,

• めちゃめちゃいい = very good
  • めちゃめちゃ大きい = very big.

But that is a different usage.

Can you explain why you used 進め方 here? What is being "proceeded"? – Locksleyu Jun 6 '16 at 22:04
    @Locksleyu 進め方 is more or less a fixed word meaning "procedure". – Blavius Jun 7 '16 at 0:10
  • Is めっちゃ the same thing or is that a totally different word (for the 2nd meaning above)? I think it might have come from 関西弁 – Locksleyu Jun 7 '16 at 4:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.