In my understanding, 達{たち} is a suffix used to pluralize a countable noun. For example,

• 私 (single) becomes 私たち (plural)
  • あなた (single) becomes あなたたち (plural)

According to most dictionaries, 子供 can be translated as either child or children. As a result, if we want to say children (instead of child), I think 子供 should be enough. In other words, is it true that for saying "children", たち in 子供たち is redundant?

Japanese language doesn't have plural form of noun like English. So we can't know how many children are playing in the park in this sentence "子供が公園で遊んでいます".

If you want to say "A child is playing in the park", you say "一人の子供が公園で遊んでいます。"

If you want to say "Children are playing in the park", you say "子供たちが公園で遊んでいます。".

No. I suppose it's a bit like you guys. It serves to make it clear there are multiple children.

It is explicit, to state that there are several children.

• Sorry. It means that every countable noun in Japanese is implicitly plural, right? – Well Harassed Programmer Jun 4 '16 at 4:05
  • @YasashiiEirian. sorry, I don't follow, what do you mean? – KyloRen Jun 4 '16 at 4:14
  • I meant for every countable noun in Japanese, there always exists both "singular" and "plural" meaning in it. Did you think so? – Well Harassed Programmer Jun 4 '16 at 4:35
  • @YasashiiEirian, Could you give an example of one of those nouns? – KyloRen Jun 4 '16 at 4:40
    @YasashiiEirian, with 「本」by itself it only contains singular meaning. However you could say this, 「あそこにある本を全部持ってきて」in this case this means bring me all the books from over there. – KyloRen Jun 4 '16 at 5:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.