I've seen some sentences end with particles like and . The most common particle that I see is . For example, if someone asked:

どこにいる? → Where are you?

I could reply,

友達{ともだち}の家{いえ}に → (I'm at) my friend's house.

I'm still lost on the particles , and . Help would really be appreciated if someone could explain how those two particles are used at the end of a sentence.

• The answer seems to be an incomplete sentence. The complete sentence should be 友達の家にいる。So for complete sentences, I don't think に can be placed at the end. Correct if I am wrong. – Artificial Stupidity Jun 3 '16 at 1:55
    普通は「今、どこ(にいるの)?」って聞かれたら「友達の家。」、「誰が勝ったの?」って聞かれたら「俺。」っていうと思います – Chocolate Jun 3 '16 at 7:35

This is essentially an omission of a word, in this case being the verb following the particle. This is common in speech as answers to questions, and often involves omission of the main verb of a sentence.

どこにいる?

友達の家に(いる。)

誰が勝ったか?

俺が(勝った。)

何語で話しかけられた?

英語で(話しかけられた。)

It is also common, in speech, to add a similar clause after the verb has been spoken. This can be done for clarification. This pattern does not require the sentence to be an answer to a question and can just be added by the speaker in anticipation of the listener not getting the full picture.

A: 登録しました。

B: (何を?)

A: 名前を

B: (どこに?)

A: データベースに

B: (何で?)

A: SQLクエリーで

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.