A. 彼は大学生ですよ
B. 彼は大学生なんだよ
What difference that なんだ makes in this sentence?

For A, I understand it well as "He is a college student!"
For B, eventhough i have read much article written about なんだ... I still cannot understand it.

I notice that there are な+んだ or 何だ.
I feel that it was the な のだ, but i still wasn't sure as to how it changes the meaning of sentence.

Possible duplicate of What connotation does なんだ add? – Blavius Jun 2 '16 at 18:33
  • @blavius Thanks for pointing out the link. After reading it, i get to a conclusion that なんだ sentence means "Hey, It turns out that he is a college student!". The なんだ means "the case is that..." Is my understanding correct ? If it is, i will then delete this post :) – Alice28 Jun 2 '16 at 18:57
    The meaning of のだ depends on context. We can't be sure about how it's used without a more specific question. – snailcar Jun 2 '16 at 21:58
  • @snail plane,there was no more context given. There is someone answering the B question though. "そう なんだ" – Alice28 Jun 3 '16 at 3:21

In this case, なんだ is used for emphasis. For example, you can use it if you are answering someone's question and you are confident in your answer. Let's say for example that someone asked you if so-and-so is a student, and the questioner isn't certain (doubting) that they are a student, you can say はい, せいとなんだ. (Yes, he/she is in fact a student)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.