I wanted to talk about a board game recently, and realized that I am missing all related vocabulary. Before you shout foul and throw dictionaries at me, these expressions are very difficult to look up, because most of them use existing words in new contexts. And I cannot ask the native Japanese I know, because they don't know the english terminology either. I'll make a list, and possibly add more to it if some are suggested. I am basically looking for the vocabulary to be able to explain any board game to someone.
- Take a turn ("Your turn!", ...)
- Passing a turn.
- Token. (Many games have tokens, be it for money, health, victory points and so on)
- Piece, as in Chess.
- [Some statistic] meter / counter. (Threat meter?)
- Pick a card/miniature/faction/... randomly.
Words I have seen often, but which are made up to begin with
- Victory Point.
- Draw a card.
- Discard a random card.
- Discard a card of your choice.
- A deck of cards.
- The correct expression for "hand".
- Throw dice, or roll dice.
- Reroll dice.
- Count the sixes. (or any other)
- Non-6-sided dice, in english usually called d8, d12 or d20.