I cannot find any material relating to this grammar point. Give the following example, could you explain what the meaning of this grammar is?

どんなに抵抗しようとも限り生きている人はいつかは死ぬ。

The sentence is invalid. That 限り shouldn't be there. Remove it and the sentence becomes grammatical:

どんなに抵抗しようとも生きている人はいつかは死ぬ。(However much they may resist, living humans must eventually die.)

Or, if 限り should be used at all, it ought to be placed after 生きている.

どんなに抵抗しようとも生きている限り人はいつかは死ぬ。(However much they may resist, as long as they are alive humans are bound to die eventually. )

Here's the rundown on the constructions in question.

・Verb(masu-stem) Phrase + ようとも... → even if S VP, ...

どんなに + Verb(masu-stem) Phrase + ようとも, ... → however much S VP, ...

・Verb(adnominal) Phrase + 限り, ... → as long as S VP, ....

These conversions are not as precise as they could be, but I hope they are good enough to convey the general idea.

| improve this answer | |
    What is the meaning of しようともhere? Or maybe additional literal meaning would help. Since a natural translations its a bit hard to learn from. thanks btw :) – Alice28 May 31 '16 at 3:54
    どんなに…しようとも means "no matter how you do ...". しようとも alone means "even if you (should) do ...". – user4092 May 31 '16 at 11:33
    @Alice28 I had completely forgotten the explanation part! That was the main point of the question wasn't it? How remiss of me. I've added a sort-of exposition. Thanks for the reminder! – goldbrick May 31 '16 at 14:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.