I need to make simple romaji to hiragana conversion for a word based game. When implementing long consonants, I ran into a potential problem of ambiguous conversion. My question is, is っ used with all consonants (kgsztdcnhbpmr) or could it be that some combinations are never actually used?

• Depending on what you're using it for, it may be more convenient for some users if double-consonant always generates a っ regardless of the consonant and actual usage in Japanese. Sometimes double-tapping any consonant and then deleting the actual consonant can be a convenient way to generate a lone っ, and many IMEs work this way as well (so you get better consistency). Tangentially, you also might eventually have to worry about other oddities like "d e l i"->でぃ (the "l" in the sequence stands for "little") which is useful for some katakana words (eg "Diego" = ディエゴ). – WeirdlyCheezy Jun 4 '16 at 9:33

I can't believe I missed it, but those are actually listed on Wikipedia. So according to Wikipedia っ cannot be used with:

• n
  • m
  • r
  • w
  • y

Even if there are cases where っ appears in front of those consonants, those are likely irrelevant to my romaji to hiragana conversion.

You might want to process rr because there are an unignorable amount of words from Latin or Italian ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – broccoli forest May 29 '16 at 16:23
  • @broccoliforest How is it pronounced? – Aeon Akechi May 29 '16 at 18:12
  • @Nothingatall usually sounds like [[ʔl͡l]] because flap variants [[ɾ]] and [[ɺ]] aren't continuant. – broccoli forest May 29 '16 at 18:26
  • You may wish to implement the unexpected character combinations that can occur in Microsoft Japanese IME. Please see Tips 5 though 8 in the following link: nihonshock.com/2010/04/12-japanese-ime-tips – G-Cam Jun 3 '16 at 19:43

Just a quick note to the above answer: while the double consonant mark (っ) is not used with "m" or "n" sounds, those sounds still exist. The ん character is simply used in its place.

Example: こんにちは, (konnichiwa)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.