I know to teach is 教え, but I'm not sure how to use the passive form. Google Translate gave 彼が教えしたいです, but that seems he wants to teach (sb). How about 教わたい?

"to teach" is 教える (infinitive). Can you try again to get the ~たい form of 教わる? Also double check the ~たい form of 教える. – Earthliŋ May 29 '16 at 11:45

教え is a noun meaning teaching. What you want is verb 教わる : おそわる (to be taught).

Note that there is another similar verb which is 教える : おしえる (to teach).

Although it's grammatically correct to turn 教える into it's passive form 教えられる, it's more common and preferred to use the 教わる instead

simple:
彼に[教]{おそ}わりたいです
I want to be taught by him.

In this case we can use 教えて since by adding もらう, it modified the verb into (receive action[verb] from someone) :
彼に[教]{おし}えてもらいたいです
I want (to receive a favor of being taught) by him

• I'm newbie so i don't really know why the answer get accepted but get voted down. I'm okay with downvote but please enlightenment me of my mistakes.thanks. – Alice28 May 29 '16 at 12:45
    I'm not the downvoter, but I think they would rather you had said, 彼に教えてもらいたい or 彼に教えていただきたい. – Aeon Akechi May 29 '16 at 13:19
    As @Earthling mentioned in the comment above, we have the passive verb [教]{おそ}わる (to be taught). And its たい form is 教わりたい. – Chocolate May 29 '16 at 13:22
    I think 教わりたい is more common and preferred at least in normal situations, though I don't think 教えられたい would be grammatically incorrect. – Chocolate May 29 '16 at 13:39
    @ Alice28 教わる is commonly read おそわる and we rarely say おしわる but some persons say おしわる as their dialect. I first know them. – Yuuichi Tam May 29 '16 at 14:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.