I am in a chat-community where in a room called "manga and anime" we have a background image, where you can see those two kanji. Google translates it as anger, offense, however i don't see the reasoning for something like this to be in the background.

I have uploaded a screenshot from our chatchannel-background:

background

Those are the correct kanji, right? What is the meaning of those two kanji if they are not used in any context, if they just stand on their own?

Well, the girl on the pic appears to be annoyed so maybe it's fitting... – kuchitsu May 28 '16 at 9:38
  • On a related note, you can make a verb out of it by "switching" the kanji: 腹(が)立つ and 腹(を)立てる. Although if you leave out the particle, you must rendaku the 立, so the first syllable becomes ダ. – istrasci May 28 '16 at 14:44
  • (Additional Information) We generally use not 立腹 but ご立腹. – user14604 May 31 '16 at 17:26

The kanji means anger, and the expression of the girl's face is expressing anger toward her dog for not moving. So it's quite fit.

立腹 is a noun meaning "getting angry." You can verbalize it by saying "立腹する." A more colloquial form of 立腹する is 腹を立てる. Perhaps 立腹 came from 腹を立てる. I can't tell which one of a boy and dog got angry from the cartoon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.