"Master suppression techniques" also known as "domination techniques" are defined as "ways to indirectly suppress and humiliate opponents".

Master suppression techniques are defined as strategies of social manipulation by which a dominant group maintains such a position in a (established or unexposed) hierarchy.

The five major master suppression techniques are summarized as:

1. Making invisible - to silence or otherwise marginalize persons in opposition by ignoring them
  2. Ridicule - in a manipulative way to portray the arguments of, or their opponents themselves, in a ridiculing fashion
  3. Withold information - to exclude a person from the decision making process, or knowingly not forwarding information so as to make the person less able to make an informed choice
  4. Double bind - to punish or otherwise belittle the actions of a person, regardless of how they act
  5. Heap blame / put to shame - to embarrass someone, or to insinuate that they are themselves to blame for their position

is there an equivalent expression in Japanese? How would one accurately express the same meaning as a phrase?

The best fit I can think of is "いじめ", or perhaps "虐待", but it is too general, and doesn't carry the meaning of "techniques" as far as I know. Perhaps "抑制(するための)テクニック" but that comes off as a chiropractic term.

First of all, there is a book/article of this in Japanese, http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mariko-m/nor_030517report.html

They translated it as "5大抑圧テクニック", same as you. Base on the description of each techniques, another way to explain/call it can be ブラック心理学.
If you want to make it sounds positive 相手を動かすテクニック will get the meaning across, but it is not a direct translation of the given name anymore.

• Thanks. I wasn't expecting to find a published reference. ブラック心理学 is also a phrase I wasn't entirely familiar with, that seems to fit really well too. – Amani Kilumanga May 30 '16 at 6:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.