I'm an absolute Japanese learning beginner. I came across this confusing sentence while I was reading a grammar guide book. Please help me : 飲むんだ。 I understand that の is substituted by ん as we speak, but I'm not sure what's the exact meaning of the whole sentence. "I drunk" or is it only an adjective and if so, what does it mean ?

I drunk -> Sorry but I don't really understand, did you mean to type "I drank" or "I drink" ? – Chocolate May 27 '16 at 13:49

「[飲]{の}むんだ。」

Unless the context proved otherwise, that would be a request/order. It would be masculine speech nearly 100% of the time.

"Drink it up!"

The "other" main usage of 「~~のだ/んだ」 is when you explain (rather assertively) the reason or cause for something.

「飲まないと[眠]{ねむ}れないから飲むんだ!」

=

"I drink (alcohol) because I couldn't sleep if I didn't drink!"

• Thanks, so if we translate word by word, that would be : The thing (ん) is (だ)that let's drink (飲む), right ? – NDT May 27 '16 at 13:02
    Word-for-word translation is difficult here. I recommend that you memorize the two usages as if 「のだ/んだ」 were a set phrase or sentence-ender. – l'électeur May 27 '16 at 13:37

I just replied today to a question that I believe might concern the same topic you are being confused by (since you don't give much context is a bit hard to say for sure).

Anyway, if I'm correct it might be an interesting reading:

aru vs arun -- are they exactly the same grammar-wise?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.