I've noticed after watching a lot of anime that sometimes "Watashi wa" sounds like "Wataxi wa" or maybe "Watakshi wa." The instances I've heard the latter were always from females. I was wondering if there's a different accent, dialect, or linguistic custom behind this pronunciation? Thank you.

For example, I heard it at 4 minutes 20 seconds into the video here:

http://gogoanime.io/basilisk-episode-14

(I used the top link). It also happens again at about 4m 38s.

I guess you are hearing わたくし watakushi, which is like わたし watashi in a humbler manner. Nothing special about it.

• Makes sense! Thank you! Do you happen to also know the difference between tosa and ji juei for father? – Blaisem May 27 '16 at 13:28
    お父さん otohsan is like dad whereas 父上 titiue is more like when you call your own father "father". – oldergod May 27 '16 at 13:43

Actually Watashi わたし and Watakushi わたくし aren't only for female. Male also use them, especially in serious situation like business or public speech, etc.

You can often hear Watakushi when a politician gives a speech.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.