I've been looking online but having really found what seems like a suitable translation.

I'm try to say something like

people who self-identify as LGBT

The best I can think of is:

LGBTとして自己意識する方々

Any alternative/better ways to write this?

I haven't seen much 自己意識する outside philosophical books, and moreover it'd mean "be self-conscious" or "be self-aware".

Better literal word for "self-identify" would be 自己認識:

LGBTと自己認識している人々

But I don't think it is a sophisticated enough word for other than academic papers (i.e. for those already know what "self-identify" means). You could also use many explanatory wording to describe what you want to say by "self-identify".

自分のことをLGBTと意識している人々
自分がLGBT(である/だ)とみなしている人々
自分がLGBTにあたると考えている人々
(自分が)LGBT(である/だ)と答えた人々
LGBT(である/だ)という自覚を持っている人々
LGBTとしてのアイデンティティを持つ人々

By the way, this is very much closer to nitpicking, but, 方々 may sound you are distant from mentioned people, so it's recommended to use this word only in a certain high honorific style that everyone is addressed by 方, or change to 人々.

• Thanks, I will be addressing a room of people I don't know which is why I used 方々, is 人々 still better do you think? – paullb May 29 '16 at 7:13
    Oh, if you orally speak to audience, then 方々 isn't a bad choice. I assumed you're probably going to write. – broccoli forest May 29 '16 at 8:52

I suggest LGBTとして生きている方々. I feel 自己意識 is a bit hard.

• LGBTとして生きている sounds very much like it is a personal choice which is certainly not a nuance I want pass across. – paullb May 29 '16 at 7:12

Self-identity is often translated as 自己同一性, but I would translate the quoted phrase, "people self-identifies as LGBT" as "LGBTとして自己認識するする人(人々), or LGBTとして自主張識する人(人々).

• Could you have meant "自己主張" instead of "自主張識"? – goldbrick May 28 '16 at 23:20
  • @goldhick. 自主 is a noun meaning self-initatedness or vountariness. There's no Japanese word, 張識, nor 自主張識. – Yoichi Oishi May 28 '16 at 23:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.