I see both 夢を見せる and 夢を見る spoken by Japanese. Do they have the completely same meaning?

== Update ==

I'm referring to a 夢を見せて which is from the lyrics of a song called おはよう。

The full version is a bit long. Here is the shorter version, and the 夢を見せて is in the second line. The context is:

また“おはよう”って言って
また夢を見せて
今日も元気で過ごせたらイイよね

見せる: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E8%A6%8B%E3%81%9B%E3%82%8B Commented May 26, 2016 at 13:44
    Could you provide some context? Commented May 26, 2016 at 14:37
    @broccoliforest I had updated the question and provided context.
    – Ian Y.
    Commented May 26, 2016 at 15:38
    Why do you think that 夢を見せる means "to dream" rather than the literal "to show [someone] a dream"?
    – Earthliŋ
    Commented May 26, 2016 at 15:44
    夢を見せる clearly means 'give (someone) a dream'; why would think otherwise?
    – Angelos
    Commented May 26, 2016 at 15:50

2 Answers 2

夢を見る means "dream" as a verb, or see a dream, as in "ハーバードに入るという夢を見る - dream of entering Harvard University," and "昨晩、母の夢を見た - I had a dream of my mother last night."

夢を見せる means to give a dream, as in "子供たちに明るい日本の将来の夢を見せる - give a dream of the bright future of Japan to children."

また夢を見せて can be translated as "Let me see (that wonderful) dream once more."

Can I ask you a question? I think the meaning of 夢を見させる and 夢を見せる are different. How do また夢を見させて translate into English? It is "Let me see a dream once more" , isn't it? Commented May 27, 2016 at 8:23
    @Yuichi Tam. At my age , I don't like to argue laborious fine points. To me, 夢を見させる and 夢を見せる are both saying the same thing, though 夢を見させて sounds gamatically correct than 夢を見せて. Commented May 27, 2016 at 8:34
  • Thank you for your answer. I ask you for my study of English. Commented May 27, 2016 at 9:03

They are different verbs. 見せる is "to show" while 見る is "to see".

夢【ゆめ】を見せる【みせる】 to show a dream
夢【ゆめ】を見る【みる】 to look at/see a dream

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .