I see both 夢を見せる and 夢を見る spoken by Japanese. Do they have the completely same meaning?

== Update ==

I'm referring to a 夢を見せて which is from the lyrics of a song called おはよう。

The full version is a bit long. Here is the shorter version, and the 夢を見せて is in the second line. The context is:

また“おはよう”って言って
また夢を見せて
今日も元気で過ごせたらイイよね

Could you provide some context? – broccoli forest May 26 '16 at 14:37
    @broccoliforest I had updated the question and provided context. – Ian Y. May 26 '16 at 15:38
    Why do you think that 夢を見せる means "to dream" rather than the literal "to show [someone] a dream"? – Earthliŋ May 26 '16 at 15:44
    夢を見せる clearly means 'give (someone) a dream'; why would think otherwise? – Aeon Akechi May 26 '16 at 15:50

夢を見る means "dream" as a verb, or see a dream, as in "ハーバードに入るという夢を見る - dream of entering Harvard University," and "昨晩、母の夢を見た - I had a dream of my mother last night."

夢を見せる means to give a dream, as in "子供たちに明るい日本の将来の夢を見せる - give a dream of the bright future of Japan to children."

また夢を見せて can be translated as "Let me see (that wonderful) dream once more."

Can I ask you a question? I think the meaning of 夢を見させる and 夢を見せる are different. How do また夢を見させて translate into English? It is "Let me see a dream once more" , isn't it? – Yuuichi Tam May 27 '16 at 8:23
    @Yuichi Tam. At my age , I don't like to argue laborious fine points. To me, 夢を見させる and 夢を見せる are both saying the same thing, though 夢を見させて sounds gamatically correct than 夢を見せて. – Yoichi Oishi May 27 '16 at 8:34
  • Thank you for your answer. I ask you for my study of English. – Yuuichi Tam May 27 '16 at 9:03

They are different verbs. 見せる is "to show" while 見る is "to see".

夢【ゆめ】を見せる【みせる】 to show a dream
夢【ゆめ】を見る【みる】 to look at/see a dream

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.