The 少し and は I'm referring to is from the lyrics of a song called Don't you see!:

Don't you see! 願っても祈っても 奇跡 思い出
少しは気にかけて

I don't quite understand why the 少し is followed by because 少し is not a noun and cannot be the main topic of a sentence for to indicate.

2 Answers 2

Here は is not used to make 少し the main topic of the sentence, but it is rather used to limit it, in the sense of:

A little bit, but no more than that

Despite the fact 少し is an adverb, not a noun, it is perfectly acceptable to put a は after it, just as it would be safe to put は after words like いっぱい,ちょっと and すぐ.

The particle は can be used in many different contexts, here are a few more examples:

少しでありますが

彼はもう、長くない

死にしない (しにゃしない)

僕が好きなの、チョコレートだ

僕に分かるよ

船で行けない

そうなると思わなかった。

• I suppose you mean "after"?
    – Ian Y.
    Commented May 24, 2016 at 13:47
  • Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I just edited it.
    – Locksleyu
    Commented May 24, 2016 at 18:05

「[少]{すこ}し」 is basically an adverb, but it also has a noun-like usage as well, which allows particles such as 「の」 and 「は」 to follow the word directly. Any monolingual dictionary would mention this usage, too.

「少しお[金]{かね}」 = "a small amount of money"

「少し[我慢]{がまん}」 = "a little patience"

「少し」 in 「少し」 is also used like a noun, but in this case, I would highly recommend that you remember 「少しは」 as a set phrase meaning "in some degree", "in some small measure", etc.

「少し[気]{き}にかけて」, thus, means:

"Please care a little about me.", "Please pay just a little attention to me.", etc.

Well, judging from the translation of this sentence "I still worry a little bit", it seems to me that the 少し here is for modifying 気にかけて, not for noun-like usage.
    – Ian Y.
    Commented May 24, 2016 at 13:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .