The 少し and は I'm referring to is from the lyrics of a song called Don't you see!:

Don't you see! 願っても祈っても 奇跡 思い出
少しは気にかけて

I don't quite understand why the 少し is followed by because 少し is not a noun and cannot be the main topic of a sentence for to indicate.

Here は is not used to make 少し the main topic of the sentence, but it is rather used to limit it, in the sense of:

A little bit, but no more than that

Despite the fact 少し is an adverb, not a noun, it is perfectly acceptable to put a は after it, just as it would be safe to put は after words like いっぱい,ちょっと and すぐ.

The particle は can be used in many different contexts, here are a few more examples:

少しでありますが

彼はもう、長くない

死にしない (しにゃしない)

僕が好きなの、チョコレートだ

僕に分かるよ

船で行けない

そうなると思わなかった。

• I suppose you mean "after"? – Ian Y. May 24 '16 at 13:47
  • Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I just edited it. – Locksleyu May 24 '16 at 18:05

「[少]{すこ}し」 is basically an adverb, but it also has a noun-like usage as well, which allows particles such as 「の」 and 「は」 to follow the word directly. Any monolingual dictionary would mention this usage, too.

「少しお[金]{かね}」 = "a small amount of money"

「少し[我慢]{がまん}」 = "a little patience"

「少し」 in 「少し」 is also used like a noun, but in this case, I would highly recommend that you remember 「少しは」 as a set phrase meaning "in some degree", "in some small measure", etc.

「少し[気]{き}にかけて」, thus, means:

"Please care a little about me.", "Please pay just a little attention to me.", etc.

Well, judging from the translation of this sentence "I still worry a little bit", it seems to me that the 少し here is for modifying 気にかけて, not for noun-like usage. – Ian Y. May 24 '16 at 13:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.