The みたい and に I'm referring to here are from a song called Don't you see! The first two lines of the lyrics are:

友達に手紙を書くときみたいに
スラスラ言葉が出てくればいいのに

If I understand it correctly, the に is used to link the two lines. But I'm not sure what kind of grammar it is. Although there is a grammar that a な-adjective can be converted to an adverb by appending a に to it, the みたい doesn't seem to be a な-adjective.

P.S. Here is the shorter version of the song, if by any chance it can help interpreting the meaning: link.

noun + みたい works and conjugates like ordinary na-adjectives, and this に is there to make it work as an adverb. The "友達に手紙を書くときみたいに" part as a whole functions as an adverbial phrase which modifies 出てくる in the second line.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/similar.html#part3

Using 「みたい」 to say something looks like something else

Attach 「みたい」 to the noun that bears the resemblance. 「みたい」 conjugates like a noun or na-adjective and not an i-adjective.

A monolingual dictionary categorizes みたいだ as an auxiliary verb (助動詞), but that seems to be just because みたいな by itself does not form a standalone na-adjective. Perhaps it doesn't mean noun + みたい can't be treated like a na-adjective.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.