I understand that both means to emphasize the uniqueness of the word before it (i.e. "only ~") but in the following sentence, I don't know which one fits.

この難しい手術ができるのは、渡辺先生__のものだ。

Both ならでは and ぐらい seem to make sense.

~ならではの + noun is a set phrase meaning "(noun) only seen in ~", "(noun) unique to ~", "(noun) that can be done only by ~", etc. For example, you can say 渡辺先生ならではの手術, which means "surgery that can only be performed by Dr. Watanabe." (BTW, ならでは is read ならで)

Now, this sentence is a cleft sentence where the person name is focused. When you say "この難しい手術ができるのは", a noun (phrase) representing a person is expected after it. And 渡辺先生ならではのもの doesn't qualify as the noun phrase representing a person.

In other words, using ならでは is wrong because it would literally mean something like [×]"The person who can perform this difficult surgery is the thing that can be done only by Dr. Watanabe."

くらい/ぐらい (+ の/な + もの) is interchangeable with だけ in cleft sentences like this.

If you want to use ならでは, you can say 「この難しい手術は渡辺先生ならではのものだ」「これは渡辺先生ならではの難しい手術だ」, etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.