I want to call one of my friend, who is not Japanese, by adding -chan or -kun to his name. The friend is a student of Japanese as myself from the same group. A male, not homosexual. I think he's about the same age as myself. We are friends but not extremely close friends, but friends during the classes and sometime chat outside. Based on that do I use -chan or -kun?

1 Answer 1


Kun! chan is very cutesy. Kun is more usable among colleagues/fellow scholars.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .