What exactly is the difference between these two phrases. How does けど/が affect the meaning and how does it relate to its meaning of 'but'?

In what context did you see 「といいんです」? Could you provide the whole sentence? (I'm asking this because you can say for example 「気に入ってくれるといいんですが/いいんですけど」 but not 「気に入ってくれるといいんです。」 for "I hope you'll like it.") – Chocolate May 24 '16 at 6:21
  • I asked a native speaker how to say "I hope I will be able to eat everything." (When presented with a very large meal). I was told 全て食べる事が出来るといいんですけど – debrucey May 24 '16 at 12:11

~といいですね

'I hope/wish X' (hope/wish for someone else)

~といいんですが

~といいんですけど

'I hope/wish X' (hope/wish for yourself)

~といいんです(ね) 'I hope/wish X' (hope/wish for someone else) -- should be ~といいですね。, not ~といいですね。 eg 早く治るといいですね。not 早く治るといいんですね。 – Chocolate Mar 10 at 23:07

The が・けど makes you sound more modest and tentative/hesitant.

• I see, does it make it sound like you think the thing you hope might not happen? – debrucey May 21 '16 at 22:42
  • You still want it to happen. But it shows that you aren't desperate and obsessed over it and modest and it would be great if it happened but I wouldn't cry over it. – saloomi2012 May 21 '16 at 22:43

The difference between the two is the percentage of conviction in what you are saying.

Ending sentences with です usually indicates 100% of conviction.

On the other hand, sentences ending in といいんですけど would be lower than 100%.

Though the two phrases would mean the same thing, the nuance is slightly different.

Note: Sometimes ですけど can just be used as a conjunction while speaking, without any nuance of "but". It really depends on the entire context of the conversation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.