I have this sentence in one of my N1 practice books, but I am not really sure how to translate this one:

不況のせいでリストラされたので、しばらくげっそり自由を楽しむことにした。

げっそり translate to 'being disheartened' - how to translate げっそり自由

I have not ever heard げっそり自由を楽しむ. Is it じっくり, isn't it? – Yuuichi Tam May 21 '16 at 8:06
    Just in case you're seeing げっそり自由 as a noun phrase, げっそり is a 副詞 modifying (自由を)楽しむ. – Chocolate May 21 '16 at 8:57

「[不況]{ふきょう}のせいでリストラされたので、しばらく(   )[自由]{じゆう}を[楽]{たの}しむことにした。」

"Since I was laid off owing to the recession, I have decided to enjoy my freedom ~~~~ly for a while."

There are dozens of words in Japanese that take the form of 「〇っ〇り」 (second kana is the small っ). Over 95% of those are adverbs and many have an onomatopoeic quality to them.

A few 〇っ〇り-words could certainly be used to fill in the blank in the sentence above, but unfortunately, 「げっそり」 is not one of them even if your book said it was.

「げっそり」 means "dejectedly", "disheartenedly", etc. It just does not go well with the verb 「楽しむ」 = "to enjoy". That is, unless this is supposed to be some kind of a joke.

The possible 〇っ〇り-words would include 「ゆっくり」 (leisurely)、「ひっそり」 (quietly) 、「しっかり」 (surely), etc.

げっそり自由 is strange.こっそり自由(家族に対して) is natural. こっそり's meaning is hiding for something.げっそり is used like "げっそり痩せた".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.