Apparently 開き means "opening" but お開き means "closure", which seems very counter intuitive. What is going on here? Are there any other similar cases in Japanese language?

• お開き doesn't simply refer to 'closure' quite in the sense of 'thing coming to an end and thus being closed', it's more like a gathering breaking up and thus either opening up the space / opening up the formation of people as they disperse / opening up the doors to let people leave. – Sjiveru May 20 '16 at 23:06
    ^ Really? 明鏡国語辞典 says "「終わる」「閉じる」を嫌って言い換えた言葉。もと「さる」「帰る」の[忌詞]{いみことば}。" 語源由来辞典 also says "会合や宴会、特に祝宴で「終わり」「散会(散る)」「閉会(閉じる)」という不吉な表現を避けるために用いられる。本来は、武士が「退却する」「退陣する」という意味で使った忌み言葉。そこから、近世には「帰る」「去る」という意味が生じ、明治以降「散会」「閉会」の意味で「お開き」が用いられるようになった" – Chocolate May 21 '16 at 0:41
  • @chocolate あ、そうなのですか!新しいこと知りました(^^) 間違えた結論についてしまったようですね。 – Sjiveru May 21 '16 at 2:40

Euphemism vs. Taboo Words

[婉曲語法]{えんきょくごほう} vs. [忌]{い}み[言葉]{ことば}

「[閉]{と}じる」 ("to close") is considered a taboo word for auspicious events such as a wedding party (even though the word itself is something we use without thinking on a daily basis). Thus, we choose to say 「お[開]{ひら}きにする」 to mean "bring (a happy event) to an end".

「閉じる」 is not the only 忌み言葉 that one needs to avoid using if one is giving a speech at a wedding party. Words with negative meanings in the particular context of "marriage" are to be avoided - [終]{お}わる (to end)、[出]{で}る (to leave)、[別]{わか}れる (to part), etc.

Other examples:

「[葦]{あし}」⇒「[葭]{よし}」: "Reed". 「あし」 sounds like 「[悪]{あ}し」("bad"), so let's call it 「よし」 so that it will sound like 「[良]{よ}し」("good")!

「[梨]{なし}」⇒「ありの[実]{み}」: "Pear". 「なし」 sounds like 「[無]{な}し」("nothingness", "non-existent"), so let's change it to 「ありの実」("fruit of the 'being/existing' kind")!

「スルメ」⇒「アタリメ」: "Dried squid". 「する/掏る」 means "to steal" and it can also mean "to lose" in gambling. That ain't cool so let's make it sound like "to win (money or object)" = 「[当]{あ}たる」

(I chose the ones that I thought would be more interesting instead of the "obvious" ones used in weddings and funerals.)

I wouldn't touch upon the provenances of お開き as a mean to avoid 忌み言葉 - ominous word / phrase as they were detailed by other users, and most of today's people wouln't give any thought about it. I wonder how many Japanese would associate it with 忌み言葉 today unless they are oct or nonagenarians.

I just would like to say お開き is very popular word which is used in both business and social life as in;

これでお開きにしましょう - Let's finish the meeting.

ぼつぼつお開きです - The party will end soon.

では部長、お開きの言葉をお願いします Well, Director, would you give a closing remark of the get-together?

まだお開きは早いんじゃないの? Isn't it too early to close the party?

An alternative to お開き is 締め (tightening) as in;

"ではこの辺りで締めましょう - Now, let's conclude the discussion (meeting) at this poit."

"会長、締めをお願いします - Chairman, please wrap up the gathering."

It is customary to wrap up a celebration party such as a New Year and Year-end party and any get-together by performing "三本 (or 一本)締め" by clapping hands of all perticipants thrice (or once) in accord by the lead of party leader in Japanese society.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.