I think I remember some characters in steins;gate ending sentences with お or だお. What does it mean?

• Do you have any example sentences? (Please?) – Earthliŋ May 19 '16 at 17:46
  • I don't have any examples now, but I can look for some when I get home. I mostly remember this expression being used by Daru. – ignorantFid May 19 '16 at 17:51
    「~だよ」が「~だお」になったんだと思うお。最近あまり見なくなったお。 dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%81%A0%E3%81%8A – Chocolate May 19 '16 at 17:55
    You might find this interesting: beauty.oricon.co.jp/trend-culture/trend/news/2051385/full The term is definitely a turn-off for many women. – Miki May 20 '16 at 7:25
    個人的には「だよ」由来説には疑問で、むしろ一人ツッコミの「…(お」のある種の誤読由来だと思われ。 – user4092 May 20 '16 at 11:50

I'm pretty sure that it came from ~だよ.

This is just my opinion but by using ~だお instead of ~だよ for a character, you can make him/her sound like a person who is cute, laid back, easy-going, girly, ほんわか、萌え系、のんびり、..., etc.

I think that these characters often don't speak clearly or speak like a little boy/girl just to create the characteristics listed above so y is dropped in dayo and it sounds like dao.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.