I heard the word 水脈 sung as みなすじ in a song, and I wouldn't have known what word was actually being said if I hadn't had the lyrics present. My dictionary doesn't show that as a possible reading, so I checked the individual kanji readings, and while すじ is indeed the kun-yomi for 脈, みな was only listed for 水 as nanori. I wanted to ask if this reading has any precedent--that is, if someone heard this and did not have printed lyrics handy, would they know what word this is? Is this a reading that has been used before or regularly enough to be associated with the word?

脈 as すじ is probably rare, but the same meaning is suggested by compound words that use it such as 山脈, where it means a line of something.

As for みなすじ, it seems to be a word invented by the person who wrote the lyrics as far as I can tell from google results. However it follows the rules for old words that use 水 as a prefix: 水面{みなも}, 港{みなと}, 源{みなもと} 水底{みなそこ}.

It's not a piece of standard vocabulary, but I'd say it's definitely "wordy" enough to use as an author.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.