I have trouble understanding the usage of ものの in the following sentence:

病気が初期に見つかったからいい__、もう少し発見が遅かったら命が危なかった。

A. とばかりに

B. かと思いきや

C. というものの

D. ようなものの

The right answer is D.

However, I think the answer should be C (according to this). I couldn't find any resources pointing out the usage of ようなものの.

According to 明鏡国語辞典: "ものの〘接続助詞〙❷《「…からいいようなものの」「…からよかった(ような)ものの」の形で》 ある大きな事態を回避する原因となった出来事が、確実なものではなく偶然もたらされた意を表す。「私が気づいたからいいようなものの、他の人だったらどうするつもりだ」「援軍があったからよかったものの、そうでなければ壊滅していた」" (ネットでは中国語のページくらいしか見つかりませんでした-> avalon1119.pixnet.net/blog/post/… ) – Chocolate May 16 '16 at 23:49
  • @chocolate Would you agree that (C)'s certainly not wrong, but doesn't fit the typical collocation then? I feel that (C) doesn't sound wrong, just that (D) feels better. – Brandon May 17 '16 at 1:20
    @Brandon 意味から考えても形から考えても、この場合はDの「~したからいいようなものの」という決まった言い回しをするのがごく普通だと思います。Cの「初期に見つかったからいいというものの」は、意味は分かりますが、やっぱりちょっと変な感じです(文法的に絶対に間違いか、とか、どのくらいおかしいか、しゃべってる時に本当にそう言わないか、とか聞かれると、ちょっと微妙ですが、きちんとした書き言葉なんかだと、やっぱりDのほうにすると思います)。Cの「からいいというものの」より、「初期に見つかったからいいものの」(←「という」を消して)のほうが、まだもう少しだけ自然な感じがします。 – Chocolate May 17 '16 at 8:38
    @Brandon The most natural one is just ものの. You have to choose one that doesn't change the meaning as long as possible. – user4092 May 17 '16 at 9:59

As @chocolate already cited in the comment, despite the looking, this question isn't actually asking about usage of "though", but knowledge of the idiom X からいい(ような)ものの Y, which roughly means "Just lucky that X, (otherwise) Y". I guess most native speakers would come up with this phrase when they've read to the part からいい.

For the possibility whether other choices could be true... well, purely grammatically speaking, C and B also have chances being "valid" (of course, only in very complicated situations that need a paragraph about the story so far). It however seems that they carefully chose wordings that none of other sound natural. If C were just ものの, the construction still works. Or it could be とはいうものの, in this case it'd mean "X, that said, Y" and at least make sense.

PS
If you filled in C, the sentence would be like:

Despite being said that it was okay because the disease was detected in early stage, my life would be threatened if the detection were just a little later.

or B:

Contrary to expectation that it was okay because the disease was detected in early stage, my life would be threatened if the detection were just a little later.

To me, D sounds more popular than C, but C is acceptable as well. In case of C, I prefer to say 病気が初期に見つかったからいいとはいうものの.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.