I noticed in my daily Japanese there are many opportunities where I want to express the concept of "in a little while". For example:

Let's go home in a little while.

Typically I would say this using the following Japanese:

もう少しで帰ろうね。

I think this is somewhat natural (if I am wrong please let me know), but I am looking for other similar phrases that are also natural and appropriate for everyday spoken conversation.

How are these?

もう少ししたら帰ろうね。

もう少し経ったら帰ろうね。

I think I can replace 少し in the above expressions with ちょっと, but I am looking for alternate ways to express a similar idea.

• もう少しで帰ろう is not wrong but もう少ししたら is more common. もう少しで fits with future tense or unrealized past e.g. もう少しで できる (It will be complete - ), もう少しで できた (it would be complete - ) rather than invitation or order. – user4092 May 14 '16 at 4:00

All the phrases you have listed are natural and you can surely replace 「[少]{すこ}し」 by 「ちょっと」, too, in your examples.

We may have a couple of more, but that will be about it.

もうすぐ

もうすぐしたら

[間]{ま}もなく

(もう)間もなくしたら

(もう)しばらくしたら

Note: 「間もなく」 would sound slightly less conversational than the other options.

• Does "もうすぐ" have more of an "immediate" ("right away") connotation compared to もうすこし? – Locksleyu May 13 '16 at 12:46
  • also, does "しばらく" have a "longer" connotation than the others? – Locksleyu May 13 '16 at 12:49
  • One more question. When do I need to use "で"? It seems to me like "もう少しで行く" is correct while in the case of "もうすぐ行くよ", で is not needed. Can you please confirm? – Locksleyu May 13 '16 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.