I can read this sentence for the most part but i can't seem to quite translate it properly or into something that flows naturally.

he's talking from a view of recalling a set of memories.

無事にゲームを獲得し、後は家に帰ってゲーム三昧だと、上機嫌で帰宅しようとしていた、そんな時だった。

Sentence afterwards to give some context:携帯をいじりながら俺の前を歩いていた女の子。

here's what I can currently read/understand/translate it as

"I acquired my game without any problems, after I went home ....missing text i can't translate properly.... in a good mood I went home (i don't understand what this construction does, i have tried to figure it out but can't find anything)

〜[三昧]{ざんまい}: to be absorbed in ~

だと: Here, it means he was thinking about something, an abbreviation of 〜だと思って...

帰宅: return home

しようとする: to try to do something (often used when the action didn't actually complete)

So, putting this together we get a translation like:

It was then, on his way home after getting his hands on a new game, when he was thinking cheerfully about all he had left to do was go home and get absorbed in the game.

This is somewhat non-literal and probably could be refined to more slightly more natural, but you get the idea.

• Ah, thank you. i get what it's trying to say now. – noobtube2 May 14 '16 at 0:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.