I'm trying to understand the difference between 蘇生する{そせいする} and 蘇る{よみがえる}. My research thus far tells me that 蘇る is intransitive and can be used for recalling memories in addition to the mutual meanings of "to be revived/resuscitated". However, I'm having trouble determining if 蘇生する is transitive since my dictionary only lists it as a noun (and doesn't have an entry for the noun+sure verb).

So in summary, what are the differences between the two?

As a bonus question, what's a good resource to look up noun+する definitions? Or is there some easy rule like noun+する verbs are always transitive?

蘇生する can be used both transitively and intransitively. Basically it only means resurrecting dead people/animals. 蘇生 is also a medical term for (cardiopulmonary) resuscitation.

• 死者が灰から蘇生する (intransitive)
  • 死者を灰から蘇生する (transitive)
  • 死者を灰から蘇生させる (intransitive + causative)

蘇る is always intransitive. It can be used with 記憶, 思い出, etc., too.

• 死者が灰から蘇る
  • 死者を灰から蘇らせる

復活する is almost always intransitive.

• 死者が灰から復活する
  • 死者を灰から復活させる

(The only exception I know is the title of this game. But I remember quite a few people claimed this title is unnatural.)

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell which suru-verb is transitive or intransitive...

• キャラクターを強化する (fortify/buff): almost always transitive
  • キャラクターを弱体化する (debuff): both intransitive and transitive
  • 剣が劣化する (degrade): almost always intransitive

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.