One of my textbooks said that you cannot use the particle は with 何 and undefined words of the こそあど.

Yet I'm sure I've heard これは何ですか。 many times before, and これが何ですか。 sounds unnatural to me.

What is the correct usage?

It means you can't say 何はおかしい or どれは好き, not that you can't say これは何ですか or 君はどれにする. – Aeon Akechi May 5 '16 at 11:10
  • I had forgotten to mention that the set phrase 何はともあれ 'in any case' has は after 何, but that's the only exception I can think of. – Aeon Akechi May 5 '16 at 16:56
    @Nothingatall There are other exceptions, but they're rather uncommon. It's still possible to productively attach は to a wh-phrase under certain circumstances. I have a bunch of examples saved, like 「 誰はもらって誰はもらわないというのはよくない」「兄さん、じゃもう一つ聞きたいんですがね、人間は誰でも、他人を見て、 誰は生きる資格があって、誰は資格がない、 などとそれを決める権利を持ってるものでしょうか?」 But these exceptions are probably irrelevant to people learning the basics, so if we want to discuss them we should probably do so in a separate question. – snailcar May 5 '16 at 18:40
    「これが何ですか」 is kind of an exception, I think, althogh at exam, it would be greatly dealt as "wrong". But when someone is asking another ( especially in anger ), it would mean So what's the problem with this according to you! – Kentaro May 5 '16 at 23:52

The key word is "undefined". は is a topic marker, and you can't switch topics to something you don't know about yet.

In 「これは何ですか?」, は is acceptable because これ is a specific, definite thing (at least in context) and 何 is about asking for more information about that thing.

In「何が好きですか?」. the 何 isn't "definite" to the speaker because it is a "placeholder for anything" 何. Of course, 好き puts an additional constraint on it, and if you re-arrange the sentence, you can say 「好きなものは何ですか」 because 好きなもの is definite enough to switch topics to with は.

On a side note, が is the subject marker. Every complete phrase must have a subject, so you might wonder why sometimes there isn't a が. Sometimes it is because the subject is implicit... but sometimes it is because the subject is the same as the topic.

For example, in 「私はアメリカ人です」, 私 is both the topic and the subject. That is, the actual meaning is (note: this is not correct Japanese for basic subject-marking use of が!) 「私はがアメリカ人です」. But Japanese has a forced grammatical convention where the は and が particles collapse to just は when the same noun is being marked as both subject and topic (except in certain other special usages of が). In other words, が MUST be abbreviated out in these cases. This is consistent with the view presented on p.118 of "A Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar".

• 私は私がアメリカ人です is different from 私はアメリカ人です and the latter is not abbreviation from the former, because が is not a marker that straightforwardly stands for the subject in a sentence though it can in a clause. For example, 私は私が食べます implies a situation when you are asked what you do if you find expired foods in the fridge and you reply that you'd eat it yourself instead of other family member. – user4092 Jun 5 '16 at 11:09
  • There are certainly other usages of が (eg contrastive が), and because of the "collapse" rule I mentioned, an actual grammatical usage going against the rule stand out as either being a different usage or exceptional in some way. This is why I marked it as "(note: not correct Japanese)" (I meant specifically for basic subject-mark usage only), but I can certainly see how it might be confusing. I'll try to clean that up a little, thanks for the feedback. – WeirdlyCheezy Jun 5 '16 at 11:22
  • I can see what you are getting at. Up vote. – KyloRen Jun 5 '16 at 12:08

In most cases, が is used before a question word (何、どれ、etc.) as opposed to は. This is because が has the nuance that it emphasizes this word which is the same reason が is usually used when answering a question (ex: "誰がやったの?" => "先生がやったよ")

Depending on the nuance trying to be conveyed, が or は can be used naturally after any non-question こそあど words.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.