I saw a few bits here and elsewhere on it, but I have yet to find something that explains its usage, in detail(e.g. in positive and negative contexts and in different tenses). Anyone know?

It only means "either way", "anyhow", "anyway", etc with a fatalist nuance, hence it can sound negative for some.

You can find it as other forms like どっちにしろ or どっちにせよ.

While I'm sure the underlying grammar makes the analogy a rather liberal one, I have always tended to feel that these were similar to patters in English that use "be". That is, an old form of the subjunctive:

Aであれ、Bであれ、なんでもいい。
Be it A, or be it B, it's fine regardless.

どっちにせよ
Whichever it be.

なんせ
Whatever the case be.

The pattern can always (well, usually) be reworded using も to mean essentially the same thing.

Aでも、Bでも、なんでもいい。
どっちにしても
なんせ* (no strict conversion; maybe 何が何でも)

• Who downvoted this without comment? – Aeon Akechi May 5 '16 at 9:55
    「なんせ」 can be reworded as なにせ、なにしろ、なんにせよ、なんにしても, or ともかく. (It doesn't mean 何が何でも.) どうせ and なんせ are not interchangeable. どうせ = 所詮. どうせ has a nuance of 諦め、自嘲、蔑視 – Chocolate May 5 '16 at 15:03
  • I know it doesn't mean 何が何でも; I was trying (too hard) to stretch the "replaceable with も in theory" point. Saying なにせ and なにしろ etc are possible replacements doesn't really help much -- they are all just different forms of the 命令形. ともかく is potentially helpful though, I would think. – Brandon May 5 '16 at 17:40
    なにしろ etc are ... they are all just different forms of the 命令形 >> 「なんにしても」は 「different form of the 命令形」じゃないです。 「しても」だから命令形じゃないです。 「なんせ」の "replaceable with も in theory" には、「何が何でも」より「何にしても」のほうが使えると思いますが。 – Chocolate May 6 '16 at 15:15

今行ってもどうせ遅いので、行かないことにします。
Since it is late to go now, I decided not go anyway.

It is similar to "anyway". But, you should use "douse" in negative context only.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.