In this sentence:

Neko da kara desu.
Because it's a cat.

Why are the "da" and "desu" used at the same time? Logically, it should've been:

Neko desu kara desu.

Or in a casual conversation if we don't drop the last "da":

Neko da kara da.

Right?

• "neko da kara desu" is "it's because it's a cat". Ignoring the issue of formality, your question is essentially the same as asking why in English we have "it's" in there twice. – A.Ellett Jul 3 '16 at 16:11

Basically, the casual form is ~だからだ and its polite form is ~だからです. e.g.

ネコだからだ(よ)。
人間だからです。
坊やだからさ。

The から is a 接続助詞(conjunctive particle), definition #1 in デジタル大辞泉:

2⃣ [接助]活用語の終止形に付く。 1 理由・原因を表す。「もう遅いから帰ろう」 (attached to the predicative form of 活用語. 1. indicates a reason or cause.)

The から needs to be attached to the predicative form such as ~だ or ~する, so here you get ねこだから (not *ねこから), then you use a copula だ or です to end a sentence (though you can just say ~だから。 in casual conversation), so you say ねこだからだ or ねこだからです.

You don't say *ねこですからです because you wouldn't need more than one polite marker in one clause, I think...

• because you wouldn't need more than one polite marker in one clause, I think... -- it's not clear for you? – Oskar K. May 3 '16 at 2:08
  • I can't say with 100% certainty that that's the reason... but at least, I can say that we don't repeat です or ます in one phrase like that... – Chocolate May 3 '16 at 5:39

This is one of those funny nuance things. It's got little to do with grammar and more to do with how it feels to say that. If I wanted to sound condescending I'd say it like that, though I guess to get that effect tone of voice is also important.

You would never in a million years say desukara desu. That just doesn't work. 9 times out of 10 you would just say neko dakara. Nothing more.

I know. My question is why. – Oskar K. May 1 '16 at 15:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.