I was looking up the conjugation of 言う, and the passive form of it is 言われる. In the sentence below, which I did not write, ても gets attached to that verb form after first dropping . Can someone please explain the grammar behind why it was dropped? What does ても mean in this case?

急にそんなこと言われても困るよ。

The passive form of a verb conjugates further as an 一段 verb. It's that simple. – oals Apr 29 '16 at 8:58

も is roughly "even", "also". Attached to a verb's て-form, it has a meaning of "even (if)".

言われても thus literally means "even if told".

A translation for you sentence might look like this: "I'm going to worry/be in trouble even if you suddenly tell me that!" (even if I'm being told that)

Personally, I think this is one of the places the "even if" translation doesn't work too well. – snailcar Apr 29 '16 at 13:52
  • I agree. I did think it was easier to understand the rough idea that way though, hence why I went for some sort of literal translation rather than a proper one. I should have been clearer about that. – Thibalator Apr 30 '16 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.