I'm writing a story with some... very old people, so I'm chasing down some very outdated pronunciations. What's the oldest known pronunciation for the sentence "When is it?"

(I'm not directly asking for an archaic pronunciation of「今、いつか?」because for all I know they'd've used different words entirely, but that's the sentence as it'd appear in modern Japanese.)

"When is it?" in what context? Do you mean "What time is it now"? But they don't have clock in oldest known times... Apr 29 '16 at 7:18
    How old? Can you give a specific age or year they were born?
    – Locksleyu
    Apr 29 '16 at 12:27
  • @broccoliforest - "When is it" in a very general "What century/year/Age is it" sense. Apr 29 '16 at 20:16
  • @Locksleyu - The character in question is Kushinada-hime, so "no, but she's older than the Kojiki". Sometime before 700 AD. I'll take what I can get, I know there's not much from that time period. Apr 29 '16 at 20:17
  • クシナダヒメ was a person(a god) in about the 1st century.
    – nariuji
    May 1 '16 at 9:27

I can't tell that this is absolutely correct as a word in Nara period, though.

In eight-hundreds, before 古今和歌集 was made, it seems that there was a conversation like this between Mikado and an editor.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~sg2h-ymst/yamatouta/sennin/arisue.html

貞観の御時、万葉集はいつばかり作れるぞと問はせたまひければ、よみてたてまつりける
(In the 貞観 era, Mikado asked me when 万葉集 had been made, and I replied in a poem.)

→when=いつばかり
Therefore it seems that "when" in ancient Japanese was the same as today's word "いつ".
And ばかり is a word of emphasis.
Add a predicate of an interrogative sentence to this phrase, and it is like this.

いつなりや
    The OP might be interested to know that いつ today is not pronounced the same way as Old Japanese いつ was. Today is tsu, but it was originally tu; that s didn't appear until Late Middle Japanese (A History of the Japanese Language, Frellesvig p.322).
    – user1478
    May 1 '16 at 19:47
    And according to the same book, word-internal consonants were likely to gain voicing, in this case it might have been idu (phonetically). May 2 '16 at 13:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.