I recently learned how to use ~たい to say things that I want to do; for example:

えいが を みたい です。

I want to see a movie.

And I learned how to use ~たりする to say examples of things that I did, do, or will do:

きのう、にほんご を べんきょう したり、本 を よんだり しました。

Yesterday, I did things like study Japanese, read a book, etc.

I am wondering how I would use these two constructions in order to say something like "I want to do things like watch a movie, study Japanese, read a book, etc." Is it possible to combine ~たい and ~たりする to make such a sentence, and if so, how?

I don't really trust myself with my Japanese grammar skills so you might want to get a second opinion on this, but this is how I would translate "I want to do things like watch a movie, study Japanese, read a book, etc." into Japanese:

私は映画を見たり、日本語を勉強したり、本を読んだりしたいです。

So starting with the usual X~たり、Y~たりします pattern the only thing that needs to change if you want to say "I want to do X, Y, etc." is the します at the end which becomes したい(です).

I hope I make sense, I'm not very good at explaining stuff.

• Oh, that actually makes a lot of sense! Thank you for the answer. I'm glad it turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought it would be. :) – Summer Apr 22 '16 at 7:38
  • Glad I could help :) – Faolan Apr 22 '16 at 7:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.