Consider the following two sentences.

A: 僕は左と右が区別できない。

B: 僕は左と右を区別することができない。

I often see B but just know A now.

How can A be possible? What kind of grammar is A?

The following sentence (from the Tanaka Corpus) inspired me to ask this question:

その[坊や]{ぼうや}はツバメとスズメが[区別]{くべつ}できない。
The boy can't tell a swallow from a sparrow.

• A is simply wrong. People will understand what you mean, but it's grammatically incorrect. – sonigo Apr 21 '16 at 15:34
    @sonigo What is your basis for this claim? – どっかのおっさん Apr 21 '16 at 15:57
    Consider できる as the potential form of する、 and 区別する → 区別できる makes sense. – oals Apr 21 '16 at 17:53

Both are correct. できる means exactly the same thing as することができる. You can treat it as a special potential form of する.

So it's not that できる is being attached to a noun, it's that it is taking the place of する in a する verb.

Here are a couple more examples:

この部屋はうるさくて勉強できない。(勉強することができない)

明日の予約が確認できた。(予約を確認することができた)

Note that it's most common to mark the thing that you can do with が rather than を because, like potential forms in general, できる really means that such-and-such "is doable." You'll see を sometimes but you can consider が the the traditionally correct way to phrase it.

Hope that helps!

• 「僕は納豆を食べられない。」と「僕は納豆が食べられない。」とどちらが正しいでしょうか。 – Money Oriented Programmer Apr 21 '16 at 16:09
  • As I mentioned, I think most people would consider the second sentence to be the most "correct," which I put in quotation marks because in real life, modern native speakers do mark objects with 'wo' sometimes, if it is a verb that normally takes 'wo.' So my advice is, prefer the second, but be prepared to hear the first as well. – どっかのおっさん Apr 21 '16 at 17:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.