Is there any difference between 汗をかく and 発汗する? Are there any subtle nuances between the two or is one more common than the other? I've checked WWWJDIC and I can't find any way to distinguish between the two.

The Sino-Japanese 発汗{はっかん}する 'perspire' sounds more like a formal, technical term, like you might find in a medical context. It isn't particularly common in normal speech. Imagine saying this in English:

Man, I just ran five miles! I perspired so much!

Sounds pretty silly, right? The first sentence sounds like casual English, but then I use the Latinate perspire in my next sentence, and it seems really out of place. It sounds too formal or technical for casual speech, like something out of a medical textbook.

Something like this would be more natural:

Man, I just ran five miles! I really worked up a sweat!

Similarly, 発汗{はっかん} 'perspiration' just isn't the basic term for 'sweat' in Japanese. If you just want to talk about sweat in normal speech, the native Japanese 汗 'sweat' is much more common, and 汗をかく is a simple and common phrase meaning 'to sweat'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.